SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bristol Channel Cutters
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2004

welch is on a distinguished road
Bristol Channel Cutters

Jeff

Thanks for your input and help. I plan on starting in the islands then move off shore as comfort level dictates. That being said I am drawn toward very salty looking boats with lots of beautiful wood. I also am a big fan of heavy displacement, full keel, sea worthy vessels.

A great sailor I probably am not but I do know what catches my eye and draws my spirit. I do realize what you mean when you talk of modern technology being employed on newer sailing craft; and for what I am setting out to do this is probably not the most ideal boat for me now. But if a boat calls to you how do you answer?

Can anyone who purchases a sailboat be called practical? I am at the point in my short life where the chance to live a dream is going to be in front of me very soon. If I do it for 1 year or 10 years the money will be well invested.

Boats are always a comprimise. The wood will have to be maintained but I do like the simple rigging. A narrow beam and short length but easily managed. I did think though having all opening ports and dual hinged hatches, plus dorades would provide good ventilation. Is this not true?

Anyway thanks for answering.

Dave
kc0lfw
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook