SailNet Community - View Single Post - Maybe a new Lake Erie sailor...
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 10-26-2008 Thread Starter
Always learning...
Originally Posted by richrand View Post

I just moved to pittsburgh and I'm looking for a marina too. Did you decide on Presque? How is it?
Congratulations! My wife and I really like it here. Of course, I'm from here, so maybe I'm a little biased.

I am still investigating marinas--partially because I don't yet have a boat to put into a marina. heh. Conneaut, which is just about the same drive-time as Erie from us, has a city-managed (I think it is city-managed) marina that seems to have the best prices of anyone I've checked. They don't offer off-season storage or lift-out, though--you have to use another boatyard that they recommend for that. I put a call into Presque Isle the other day to get some better pricing information, and I need to call them back this week. So things are still a little up in the air. I physically visited the Presque Isle marina several weeks ago, and it looks like a nice spot. I didn't do much investigation or talk to anyone while I was there, though. I think I'll still want to talk to someone who actually uses it before I commit to it, which is another reason why I've called them--I'm hoping to get some contacts of current users who might be willing to talk to me.

Even though Conneaut is less expensive and is about the same drive-time, I'm still seriously considering marinas in Erie. Erie has other benefits for us, since we have some family there and we're pretty familiar with the area.

On a similar topic, I'm also still investigating a few of the yacht clubs in Erie. Not having experience with such things, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what those costs might be.

If you get additional information, I'd be interested to hear from you. There are some other local sailing grounds that might be attractive to you (and to us, if we can't initially afford the boat and dockage in Erie). If you're interested in hearing me babble on about that sort of thing, PM me.

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome