SailNet Community - View Single Post - new pin holes in jib tracks
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Jody—

The sails will generally pull the genoa fairleads aft... not forwards...since the sheets are under tension... and moving the cars aft is what the forces on the sheets would do. All the line-controlled genoa fairlead setups I've seen have the lines to pull the cars FORWARD...not aft. If your setup has the adjusting lines pulling the fairlead car aft, I'd love to see a photo of it—cause I have no idea how that would possibly work.

Here's an image of the Harken setup:

I realize that is how Harken describes the setup - I have now did the reverse because when I had it set up that way (as illustrated) - I didn't have the control I wanted when using anything less than a 150. Having the block aft, and the car reversed - allows wind on the sail to move the genoa car forward (when having reduced sail area) when releasing the tension on the adjusting line just enough to release the pin to allow it to go forward. To be honest haven't tested it with the reverse setup and will be installing another set of blocks on the track so I can change the setup at whim...

The problem really with the setup as illustrated in the diagram that it assumes that tension is on the tack line - when in some cases depdning on sail shape and size of sail - not necessarily viable.

Thats been my experience with using the setup in the diagram...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook