SailNet Community - View Single Post - Winter Covers?
Thread: Winter Covers?
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008

preservedkillick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
PK, Great frame!!

For the horizontal pipes that are about 3 feet above the deck, did you have to do anything special to have them follow the curve of the rail? (Or did they have enough flexibility that you could curve them easily?)

Also, maybe I missed it, what did you cover it with? Was it something home grown or did you have a professional build you a tarp?
Hi Bene505,

Nothing special, they just bent with the curve of the boat. They don't even need to be so high off of the deck, I purposefully made the vertical legs fairly tall since I planned on working underneath and wanted the room. The vertical legs are capped with a "t" fitting that rests on the deck and can be seen here:

For the tarp, I just bought the cheapest 20x40 foot tarp I could find. Since boat is in my yard I figured I'd keep an eye on it for replacement if needed. It did fine.

When we painted the boat this spring, I added legs to each "bent" to get it off the deck, and covered the whole thing with translucent plastic. It's wobbly as heck, every other leg is tied back to trees with twine. I was hoping it would just get us through the painting, but it's still gong strong 7 months later. It sways a little with the wind, but has never failed.

Soon I'll take the legs off so each bent rests on the deck again for the winter cover.

I didn't glue anything since I wanted to be able to take it all apart for easy summer storage, and also was able to check on it as I worked throughout the winter. I once had a vertical center post fall down, but never anything catastrophic. If I were to leave it for a long time, I might clue some of the fittings, but leave some dry to make disassembly easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Seagrass
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alberg 30:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook