SailNet Community - View Single Post - Foam vs. wool for buffing, waxing, etc.
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008

drlove is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your reply Maine Sail, I was hoping you would respond. I had read some of your earlier posts but I did not see the one linked by SD. However:

I am assuming the answer to my question is no, there are no different speeds for foam vs wool. I did not see any specific speeds listed in the detailed instructions. The Perfect-It III listed 1850 rpm as optimal. What do you think? The Perfect-It III is also a diminishing grit type compound and 3M lists it as their best gelcoat compound (just relating that, don't know whether it is true or not). It is a fairly new product. The shine I got with it and the 3M Superbuff wool pad was very good.

So the next step is to use Finesse-It polish with a foam pad? What speed (I guess I should say rpm)? Do I also put enough on that there is wet polish to wipe off or should I buff it dry?

Wax: I live in Oklahoma. VERY hot in summer. The hull is white but I am worried about Carnauba Wax. Is there a problem with the Meguiar's NXT polymer paste wax? It doesn't say silicone anywhere on it.

Thanks again, I will probably have more questions but I will try not to get to the anal-retentive phase!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook