SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2004 Hunter 33
Thread: 2004 Hunter 33
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008

jbrelin is on a distinguished road
Hunter 33 - owner

I own a Hunter 33, and am very pleased with it but I have one issue that I discovered while sailing SF Bay.

Before I begin, please note that the following may be a fact that most if not all sailboats handle in the way described below. I just happened to notice it on my Hunter 33.

With a 20 knot San Francisco wind, and a close reach, I could not help but oscillate the boat into and out of the wind. At one point, with the boat heeling way over, and with the helm all the way port, I moved starboard into the wind anyway. There could be several reasons for this:

1. I had full sails up, and the B & R rig just apllied too much torque. In other words, I should have reefed.
2. I should have anticipated and turned earlier before the moment. This would be user-error.
3. The rudder was slowing the boat and I lost horizontal force. At an angle, the rudder has less horizonal force than straight up-and-down too.
4. The concave bow helped to apply excessive turn pressure.

Other than this, the boat seems to handle just fine and I am extremely happy with it. I think it all comes down to knowing your boat. I hope this answers some questions.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook