SailNet Community - View Single Post - Retro-look depth sounder
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Retro-look depth sounder

Here's a modern version of what all depth, or echo, sounders used to look like. What was old becomes new, eh? This is a lot like what echo sounders looked like when I first went to sea. I haven't read the details on this one but what it appears to also share with those old units is adjustability. Most electronic equipment has gone to the automatic operation design. Manufacturers assure us that they work better than the old manually adjustable ones. I'm skeptical as I've operated both in things like Loran receivers and the trend towards automatic sets in that area meant a diminishment of ability to get a fix in marginal conditions. Under "normal" conditions the newer ones are easier to use but my experience has been that i was rarely desperate for a fix under normal conditions. For instance, getting back to echo sounders, how does the modern depth soundr deal with thermal inversions? Short answer is, they don't. You just get erroneous data where your depth varies from 3 fathoms to 300 fathoms. anyone who has messed about with an old receiver versus a PLL equipped one will know what I mean. Anyone familiar with this machine?
Nasa Marine Instruments Limited

I like the looks of their recording barograph.

Their AIS radar:

Last edited by sailaway21; 10-28-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook