SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big Freakin' Sails
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Cool - thanks again Dog. Hey, man, you ain't so bad! I mean if you're willing to help me out - you must have some heart.
Nah, I just take pity on some fools...

Quote:
Okay, one more hypothetical and I'll leave you alone....

Tlller. Stock shears at the collar. Stock is still there but too far down in the tube to "grab" onto. Screwed?

[Start the clock.]

And for the bonus round, let's throw in one more complication: At the very moment of shear, you're just at the mouth of the marina where you are picking up two topless Norwegian ladies who want to film a documentary of your voyage. They're watching closely to see what happens. What do you do now?
Depends on the boat. On my boat, I could probably rig a line to the rudder to allow me to steer it... That is the case with many boats with a transom mounted rudder. Drill a small hole in the aft edge of the rudder blade and attach two lines to it. Steer by using the lines to turn the rudder.

Also, on my boat, the tiller isn't attached to the rudder stock or quadrant... it's connected via a set of mechanical linkages...so even if the tiller head snaps off, I could probably jury rig something directly to the quadrant in the rudder trunk compartment and run the lines up to the cockpit via one of the cockpit lockers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
...this actually was part of Ken Barnes's problem, is that if the wheel is damaged/bent, it can often prevent you from being able to turn the rudder. In a case like that, you'd have to disconnect the wheel steering before you could use the emergency tiller.

Not totally accurate. You COULD disconect the wheel steering, or you could remove the wheel, or you could cut the bent section of the wheel off. (You do carry a hacksaw and/or bolt cutters right?) Ken Barnes problem wasn't mechanical, it was that he was stupid.
Yes, he could have removed the wheel or cut the bent section of wheel off... but this is Ken Barnes we are talking about...

BTW, don't carry bolt cutters on my boat, but don't have a wheel either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 10-28-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook