SailNet Community - View Single Post - GPS and electronic charts?
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2004

Jhooley is on a distinguished road
GPS and electronic charts?

I am planning to sail along the north coast of Cuba and then to Jamaica. Does anyone have any experience with electronic charts. No matter where I look I can hardly find exactly what I am looking for, and when I find something close to what I want, it always includes something I dont want and at a crazy price. I expect to pay 150-200 dollars for each electronic charts of the north coast of cuba (including detailed ports and anchorages) and the same for Jamaica. So I am willing to spend about $500-600 for electronic charts. I already figured out that if I buy Britisch Admiralty paper charts, I can expect to spend about $800 dollars for all the charts I need. Another difficulty is that alot of GPS charters only use a specific chart software, and nothing seems to do give me completely what I want. If anyone has some advice or is struggling to find the proper charts for their GPS let me know. I am wondering if it is worth the aggrevation. I could just use the GPS and plot off the paper chart, but it wont be that accurate. Let me know. Thanks. James
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook