SailNet Community - View Single Post - Collapsible Cradle
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
Collapsible Cradle

Even the name sounds bad, but I need one.

Here's my problem. I just purchased a 31 ft, 10,200lb sailboat that has no cradle Wing keel, 4" draft. It needs some work, so I am having it shipped to a yard that mandates a cradle for the boats (they use a huge forklift to swap the boats in and out of the work shed). They want to build me a cradle and don't have one to rent.

The marina I want to end up at in the spring is small and has a travel-lift, but no means of moving a cradle around on the property. The winter storage yard becomes the parking/picnic area. That marina insists on jackstands so they can "clear the decks" in the spring and chain the stands up at the woodline on the edge of the marina.

Cut to the chase - it's run by a very stubborn and opinionated woman (who I actually like a great deal) who doesn't like cradles, period. Also, if you don't winter-store with her you tend to find there is no available slip come spring. I'm hoping if I guarantee to have a ctradle appear on the spot when the travel-lift drops the boat and that vanishes again in the spring without her one yard man's involvement I can sway her. I have enough "atta-boys" from a few years back when we were based there that I think I can pull that much of a favor.

So what I need is a break-down cradle that can be disassembled and transported between the work yard and the marina (10 miles) on my 1,000 lb capacity 4 x 8 utility trailer (overhangs allowable with flags) and can be dragged to the woodline in pieces or reassembled as needed on haul-out day.

Anyone have plans or images of such a beast? Thoughts? Ideas?
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook