SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing to Cuba...need advice on Government and expenses
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Sailing to Cuba...need advice on Government and expenses

Jim, perhaps we misread your question. If what you meant to ask is ''How do I sail to Jamaica and back...?'' then my reply would have sounded much different. That can be a fascinating run, made even more interesting if your boat and the conditions would, together, permit you to sail upwind the stretch from the Windward Passage to Ile a Vache'' in Haiti. (Don''t think revolution, denuded hills and people stealing things off your boat; instead, think walking thru the cover of a 1940''s Nat''l Geographic). The Van Sant guide I mentioned, an old/used Wallace Stone Caribbean Cruising Guide (only a few bucks via Amazon), Lethbridge''s guide on cruising Jamaica, and Rauscher''s guide for the W Caribbean will all be useful reading...and provide most of the harbor pilotage charts you need, too. (Between them, they only miss the Caymans)

You''ll want to sail well off the coast of Cuba and, whenever you can, with the wind. But all that''s easily done on a clockwise tour thru the Central Caribbean.

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook