SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Loose Annode

5K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  CapnRon47 
#1 · (Edited)
A couple months ago, I went underwater to pull some weeds wrapped around my propeller. In the process, noticed that my zinc anode was loose and migrating up and down the prop shaft. I went back under with a screwdriver and tried to tighten it, to no avail...it just wouldn't. This was also causing a knocking noise while motoring. It will freely move up/down the shaft, but stops about 4 inches from the hull (thankfully!).

I have been told that I should remove it, it's not needed in freshwater...and have been told by others to replace...it's a must. :confused:

The manuf. is Martec. This is from their website:

A Martec Bullet Nosed Zinc should be fitted to the shaft precisely leaving a ( 3/8" to 1/4" ) gap between it and the strut to let water thru the strut bearing. The prop should be fitted behind the strut the same way. So instead of three non-streamlined lumps dragging thru the water, you produce one smooth shape including prop, strut, and zinc. When this is not properly done the benefit of any low drag propeller will be severely compromised. All that effort and expense for the ultimate low drag bottom is voided by a poorly placed non-streamlined zinc and a dislocated prop.

My questions:
Do I need this? (assuming to minimize drag through water, and to protect the prop/shaft?)
How can I get the other one off to replace with new?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
You don't really that kind (looks like it is on backwards to me as well). I doubt it creates that much of a drag. I know on mine - I use the round ones just fine. Its the prop that is the drag and not so much the zinc.

You do need a zinc even in fresh water. They make them specifically for fresh water and are different than the one we use in salt bodies (keep that in mind).

To get the existing one off - Get the right size allen wrench or bit, find a socket that will fit over the end you would turn, put socket on long socket wrench or use extenders - that will give you enough leverage to crank it off.

Otherwise, get the allen type socket that you can put on a drill and try that - it will give you more torque.

Last option - drill out the center of the allen piece of the screw(s)...that will allow you to put a screwdriver into the havles and maybe separate it that way...

Hope that helps...

#3 · (Edited)
If I can get the screws off...does it come off in two pieces? It looks like one solid piece upon inspection...so didn't know how to get it off the shaft once I get the screws off.

Here is a pic from the manuf's site...
So what you're saying...should the zinc be between the strut and the prop, not where it is now? Or just turned around the opposite way?

#5 ·
lol...LOVE your illustration...thank you! Ok, that makes sense.

I wonder what dumb*ss put it on backwards.

#6 ·
The only loose anode on here is Jody's.................ooops..........better shut up while he is still volunteering to crew for me the next three days!:laugher:laugher:laugher:laugher:D:D:D:D

Any way, not to contradict him, but I seem to recall reading that, while you need a "zinc" for freshwater, I am recalling the actual "zincs" do not work as well as another metal, I seem to recall aluminum? or maybe that is the material mix that is special made that Jody is remembering. Hopefully he is not thinking/remembering too much! or he will pull what brain muscle he has in between his ears:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::laugher:laugher:laugher:D:D:D:D

Any way.

Need to do some qtly state tax reports for biz, should not be on puter playing, and harrasing Jody!:D:D:D

Marty

#7 ·
Any way, not to contradict him, but I seem to recall reading that, while you need a "zinc" for freshwater, I am recalling the actual "zincs" do not work as well as another metal, I seem to recall aluminum? or maybe that is the material mix that is special made that Jody is remembering.
That's it I am taking the spinnaker position again and seeing how well we can drag it down the hull!

Marty's right - technically - I use the term "zinc" as nomenclature for the anode (its one less syllable)...hence why I stated "fresh water zinc". More or less slang.

To be technically correct: Zinc will not work in fresh water it is purely for salt. Magnesium is the simple answer to your problem with fresh water, although magnesium needs to be removed when going into salt water for long periods.

:)

BTW Marty...

BITE ME! :laugher

#8 ·
Sailchick-

First, as they've pointed out...the zinc is on backwards... BTW, it does need the 1/4" or so gap between it and the strut or the cutless bearing won't get enough water and can score the propshaft badly.

Second, if you're in fresh water, the zinc should actually be Magnesium or Aluminum, rather than a Zinc. Magnesium is required if you're protecting aluminum parts... like a saildrive or outboard. Aluminum should work in fresh water or brackish water and will out last a Magnesium "zinc", but should not be used if the boat is stored in salt water.

One problem Zinc "zincs" have in fresh water is that they are not as "electrically active" as the magnesium or aluminum "zincs" and if you've got aluminum bits to protect, they will often get attacked before the zinc does—in fresh or brackish water. Also, IIRC, the Zinc "zincs" can get a coating of zinc oxide on them that will essentially insulate them and prevent them from working properly.

There is another good reason to have that bullet zinc on the shaft. If anything happens and the shaft disconnects inside the boat, it can prevent the shaft from pulling out of the stuffing box completely and help prevent your boat from sinking.

When you replace it...remember to seat the zinc firmly with a tap of a hammer. Also, remember to scotchbrite the shaft to get it nice and shiny, so that the zinc makes good contact with it.

#9 ·
I would prefer NOT to bite you Jody, as you are the wrong sex jody to be biting IMHO!:eek::rolleyes::laugher

I also knew the actual zinc would not work in fresh water, and aluminum was something to be use, but as you and SD point out, that magnesium is the better choice for a "sacrificial anode" in fresh water. Now say that 20 times really fast!

Ok, time to finish qtrlys, the part I hate about owning ones own business!:hothead:hothead:hothead

see you tomorrow Jody, on H dock, about half way to gas pumps.

marty

#10 ·
Chick,
Once you have the proper sized wrenches/sockets to take it off you may well find that you need a bit of heat. A propane torch used with MAP gas instead of propane will do the trick of heating up those nuts so that they come loose easily.

Once you've got it off you can go home and reward yourself with a nice hot shower and consider the fact that it hasn't been doing anything for quite some time, if ever, in the way of sacrificing itself and yet you have no degradation to your metal fittings. Then you can consider just leaving the thing off like half the other boats in fresh water do. It appears that no sacrifices need be made. (No, I am not a politician!) I would remove it though as it's going to do active harm to your strut at some point.

#12 ·
fastbttms... you weren't working in the chicago area recently, were you??? :D ;)

#15 ·
Since you are out of the water and have some time...spray the bolts with PB Blaster. Let that soak in, give it some light taps with a hammer. Put on some more PB and let it soak in. PB does work miracles. I've let some frozen bolts sit for a week or more with regular re-soaking with more PB. Give this a try before going to major surgery.

You said you used a screwdriver. If the bolt head is slotted or phillips instead of hex then using a screwdriver doesn't give much leverage. There are right angle screwdrivers for getting into tight spaces. The right angle can give you some leverage to better exert torque on the screw head. After letting the PB loosen things up use the right angle screwdriver.

Good luck

#18 ·
Dear All,
I don't know if I am too late in asking this question on the shaft anode, like sailchick my shaft anode have a habit of coming loose on the shaft. However in my case they start hitting the hull and damaging it! Why does that happen? I have tried tightening under water to no avail and thus had to remove the anode. The anode does not have severe signs of deterioration, am I doing something wrong? Thanks

Mike

#19 ·
Mike-

Did you use loctite on the threads of the anode?? If not, it could be that vibration is causing it to loosen up.

#22 ·
Yes, generally you do have to tap the zinc halves with a hammer to seat them. Or you could use a c-clamp to squeeze them into place.

#21 ·
Kristen,
What is the latest?
Were you able to remove it?

I am going to Crowley's tonight after work to tow a friends boat, I could take a quick look if you want. It should not be very difficult to remove.

#23 ·
Maybe it goes with the anode. All the bullet and egg shaped ones I have fitted to the shaft are a tight fit, so either a tap with a hammer or a squeeze with a clamp is necessary. The important thing is to have a good electrical connection over a large area between anode and shaft.

I don't use loctite or locking nuts, just those provided. They have a race with the anode halves to see which erodes fastest and so are very quickly unmoveable. If the anode ever slipped I would suspect I was using the wrong size for the shaft and would notice that when fitting it.

I get the old anode off the shaft with a hack saw blade down the gap between the anode halves.

#25 ·
Got an email from the Yard today...they noticed my anode issue while winterizing my engine...and can remove/replace for $230. I say...no thanks!

#26 ·
What, you don't want to give them a quarter of a boat buck... for doing 10 minutes of work??

#29 ·
Ok, here we go, we got a real pressure cooker
going here, two down, nobody on, no score,
bottom of the ninth, there's the wind-up and
there it is, a line shot up the middle, look
at him go. This boy can really fly!
He's rounding first and really turning it on
now, he's not letting up at all, he's gonna
try for second; the ball is bobbled out in center,
and here comes the throw, and what a throw!
He's gonna slide in head first, here he comes, he's out!
No, wait, safe--safe at second base, this kid really
makes things happen out there.
Batter steps up to the plate, here's the pitch--
he's going, and what a jump he's got, he's trying
for third, here's the throw, it's in the dirt--
safe at third! Holy cow, stolen base!
He's taking a pretty big lead out there, almost
daring him to try and pick him off. The pitcher
glance over, winds up, and it's bunted, bunted
down the third base line, the suicide squeeze in on!
Here he comes, squeeze play, it's gonna be close,
here's the throw, there's the play at the plate,
holy cow, I think he's gonna make it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.