SailNet Community - View Single Post - how much foam in a Mac or Venture 25?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008

EdWarren is on a distinguished road
Not enough foam.

I have sailed for over 40 years, open ocean and currently sail midwest lakes. I have a very low opinion on the value of 'floatation foam'. I think it does a lot more to sell boats than to save boats. If it is there, good, leave it, there is no real imperative to remove it. If not theer,that's ok also. Because of the marketing, the novice is lead to believe this is a major safety item.

Spend your time and effort in learning how to sail, stay safe, and enjoy the boat. In midwest lakes, a good depth sounder will be more important than foam as a safety item. The 'charts' available are limited and not as good as the charts available for opean ocean. (They tend to focus on fishing, not navigation)

If you are really worried about floation foam, then I recommend you fill the entire cabin with nothing but foam or keep the boat on the trailer and you will be safe .

One last thought, the 'wrong' type of foam might be worse than no foam, if it absorbes water and as a result causes damage to fiberglass, wiring, plumbing".

On my boat Mac 26S, the 'foam lockers' are really sealed lockers and since air is a better floatation medium than foam, I really wonder about the effectiveness of the foam.

However, I submit for the 16 years I have had my boat, this issue has been a matter of 'religion' to the devotees and detractors of floatation foam. So others willl most certainly disagree with me.

Ed Warren (sailing Lady Warren Mac 26s near Omaha)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook