SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boating, Passagemaking, and Licensing
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0NJY View Post
Ummm.....

If you're going to compare things, then emergencies happen in cars and trucks too.

Planes are a little different than anything else. The laws of physics keep them in the air. Break the 'rules' (by attempting maneuvers that they aren't built for as an example) and they crash.

The exact same thing applies to both cars and boats - and bicycles and skateboards and roller skates. Why don't we have license for cellular telephones? People are 1) using radio systems.... I have to have a license to use MY radios. And they use them in cars and crash because of them. 2) People on skateboards and roller skates crash all the time on sidewalks, running old people down (in my area especially for some reason). They have licenses. They can crash...

and the lists go on.
That's a silly comparison. I am being serious.

Is boating really that much less dangerous than flying a plane?? Licensing will not suddenly stop the idiots nor will it suddenly stop all fatalities. However, it would help.

How many times have you been cut off by a motor boat that did not know right of way?

How many times have you been buzzed by the wake of a sport fish while at anchor and broken things dopwn below?

How many times have you been clipped at anchor by a motor boat over your rhode?

How many times have you seen a boat on the hard bacuse they did not understand the cans/nuns?

Now THAT list does go on and on...

A simple license, while not stopping all of this, will at least make them aware of them. Break the law, hurt people, etc... pull them off the water.

Did you know: you can go out, today, and buy a 65 foot Hatteras (assuming you have the money). You can hop behind the wheel and start immediately. They do not check credientials, time on the water, or whether you even know how to steer. You bought it... you own it... you can drive it - anywhere.

You cannot even do that with a car. Yet, you are driving an absolute killing machine. You could take out someones family in seconds, including your own.

You cannot even do that with a car... and a boat is much more dangerous than a car. Yet you are required to have a license with a car. With a boat?? Nothing.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook