SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lake Michigan Chicago, IL marinas?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2004

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
Lake Michigan Chicago, IL marinas?

Chicago has a lot of disadvantages, and unless you are very close to the park district harbors you would probably be better of going elsewhere. I have sailed the area for 30 years and have never moored in Chicago because nearby areas have so much to offer. 25 miles north is Waukegan. Very nice municipal marina. Waukegan''s big knock is a lack of shore side comforts. Not much going on within walking distance. Otherwise a great place and well protected.

Another 5 or 10 miles north is Winthrop Harbor called Norhtpointe Marina. State run and a 1st class facility (slips only). It is enourmous, yet my overnight stays have made me feel appreciated. Not a lot to do shoreside, but a shuttle bus will take you into to town for a few restaurants. There is a bar/restaurant on premises. On the dock, I find it hard to imagine one would not fall quickly into a social group. People are very friendly.

Another 10 -15 miles is Kenosha, which boasts a wonderful small boat harbor. A mile walk brings you to a number of restaurants an night spots. One can not go wrong here.

Even though I reside in Illinois, I keep my boat in Racine, WI. From my home in Crystal Lake it is a 80 minute drive. Chicago would be a about an hour. The extra time is more than worth it since I do not have parking problems or traffic problems in the heart of a big city.

Racine has slips from under 1k if you go up the river. I pay 1300 at the Racine Yacht Club. Racine, is, in my opinion, the best port in South L. Michigan. No other port can offer what we do. We have 9 different places to stay overnight within 25 miles. For offshore sailing, we are 70 - 75 miles away from 7 different ports across the lake.

Email me at JosephLhiggins@avenew.com for more info. I don''t really care where you go, but Racine does have a lot to offer and, having been in the area for a long time, I feel I can help and would be happy to do so.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook