SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boating, Passagemaking, and Licensing
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008

J36ZT is on a distinguished road
After reading all of the postings in this thread, I've come to the following conclusions:

1) Boats do fly and fall from the sky.

2) A license should be required in order to breed.

3) Children that go boating should have their parents revoked.

4) We should have outlawed flying in the year 2000 (too many deaths that year).

5) Dogs should have to take a test before they bite humans.

6) Europe is a country.

7) There are 57 States.

8) Boats are not boats…but, comparing boating to planes is fair.

9) All stock brokers used to be “Captains.”

10) If you don't get a license, you can drive a PWC off a dam.

This thread was started by someone expressing their opinions. Opinions are like @ss holes, everyone's got one and they think theirs doesn't stink. If you guys and gals feel so strongly about instituting a boating license or certificate requirement, what have you done to start the process?

Personally, I don't think the answer is licensing. I think there are already enough rules (ie laws) that govern boating. The real problem is the enforcement of the rules.

But, most importantly, you simply can NOT legislate intelligence, common sense, nor experience. If you think a license and taking a test will solve much, let me ask you this, "Why do I have to have Uninsured motorist coverage?" Hmmm...maybe because there are people out there that break the rules... The key is in enforcing the rules that we already have!

Don't get me wrong, I think the @ss hole that zooms around the marina because he likes to see all the pretty masts swing back and forth should be locked up as much as the next guy; but I don't think making him take a test will slow him down any.

However, I do think it would be a good idea to have some sort of Open Ocean certification for boats. If one would elect to get this certification for their boat, the USCG, USCG Auxillary, or another agancy would inspect the boat to make sure it was seaworthy enough and had the right safety equipment. One would need this certificate in order to purchase an EPIRB. I don't think that my idea would get very far though.

Oops...my @ss was starting to show there...sorry.

Skipper, J/36 "Zero Tolerance"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook