SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ride Cowboy..ride...Kid from Hell Rodeo
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Giu,

I have to say that when I travel I'm completely amazed at how many people in so many places speak English. It's actually very humbling to me. I spent a year living in Mexico and was able to get along in basic conversations (though it was hard as hell to get it down), but to think about being fluent in 2-3 languages - yikes.

Of course, over here in the States we don't go around pistol-whipping our great grandmothers. Although I did bloody up my sister with a bit of the old Cain and Abel when I was 3. Fortunately, she only need a stitch.
I know what you mean smackdaddy. I was stationed in Italy for 3 months and, while it was nice to find someone who spoke English, I actually started taking Italian lessons on base. I didn't learn a whole lot but I learned enough to get by.

One thing that drives me nuts though is when Americans EXPECT other countries to speak English and refuse to even try to learn the native language.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Meet me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook