SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crimping versus Soldering
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008

logos is on a distinguished road
CE... Chemical Engineering? Certified Electrical? I am sorry but I am not familiar with that abbreviation- Carbon/Epoxy?

Chemical Engineering... just the sciences in college... physics, chemistry 1st year and the first half of O-chem... lot of lab work of course (making acetomenaphin, banana oil, other compounds... using mass-spectrometer adn analyzing output- now just reading, discussion, and some real-world application... you know how it is everything should incorporate some engineering and often requires it- but usally, for knowledge and experience, I'll find the smartest guys, lots at Schooner Creek, and then pay attention! Keep quiet unless to ask questions after I've thought about it (hopefully) Vic Tumor, Mike Ward, the owner Steve Rander- have a question about anything about any sailboat and they've seen it, done it, fixed it, designed it, and I was fortunate enough to be there to learn.

i've installed bow thrusters complete, stern thrusters complete (cored the hull, fit the vetus tube, motor, fiberglass support, additional battery bank, fuses, cabling and cabling runs... safety switch, and finally the thruster control at the helm- pick a spot, chase and secure the wire, cut into the bridge somewhere near the helm and install the control: test/sea trial

one auto pilot install I did on a 37 foot "crab-crusher" (full-keel) sailboat built in taiwan(?)... not a tayana and they weren't sure either... one of two they mentioned which I don't recall... anyway, it had a cage built around the base of the pedestal which held the sprockets feeding the quadrant and I believe was intended to be of structural assistance to the pedestal and perhaps the cockpit as well... anyway, I had to fabricate a steel base for the ram of sufficient strength and it had to sit with +/-5 deg. on plane over all three axes referenced of course to the rudder shaft... which followed the transom's angle which was raked towards the boat... but the real difficulty was calculating the exact position the ram had to sit in the air in order to be able to turn the quadrant fully in each direction and not be in the way of cables, the framing, or the hull as the boat was a double ender so space sqeezed rather abruptly and I had to do it all from a hole that my 6'4" frame could just hunch in to work... anyway... after cutting, welding, and installing it and everything else... the installation and calibration of the raymarine componects was cake...

Carbon/Epoxy: built some carbon fiber parts (one was the instrument panel on the Ocelot 43 which was touchy because the finish had to be perfect and the carbon mat the same... anyway then along with Carlos built and installed the carbon fiber knees in it and other stuff...

radars... satellite system repair on a fountain express cruiser 48? the system was KVH and a stop swich activator had failed so it wound the cable up and then returned an error and shut down after some twitching... they thought they had to pack it and ship it to NJ or wherever but since i have background i took a look and bought a serial port universal adaptor kit to query the unit through terminal emulation software and found out the problem... that was cool... solar panels and control units, lots of alternator changes, conversions,
balmar external regulators, gensets,

it's all coming back ugh... this is cathartic but sorry if I am winding on a bit ; )

or did you mean something else entirely lol and you? have you/do you crawl into all the places on a boat you hope you never have to see?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook