SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hard dodgers
Thread: Hard dodgers
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2004

Nereus32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hard dodgers

I knew a couple who had a Westsail 42(center cockpit) with a beautiful hard dodger/binini. They had a canvas enclosure/curtain that attached to from the side and wrapped all the way around the back. These were mostly vinyls, so visibility was excellent. The dodger windows are lexan and superior to any vinyl I''ve ever seen and could be opened for added ventilation. The heighth (althought I don''t recall exact dimensions) was high enough that I could be reasonably comfortable, and I am 6''2". On a heavy boat like that, what ever little windage it added wasn''t much of a factor.

They loved it (so did I). It added a whole other "room" to their boat. It made their voyage to Alaska pleasant, as opposed to bearable. So I say that your desire for comfort and good visibily is great and can even be had with nice look, if you build one that compliments your boat the way that one did on the Westsail.

I know of one other boat that has a very nice custom hard dodger. They love it also. Sailing in colder climates, it adds months to their sailing season.

I don''t think you''ll be finding yourself wishing you didn''t have it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook