SailNet Community - View Single Post - Furling Main Sails
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Furling Main Sails

When you say, "I find it convenient that we can sail right up to a squall and furl at the last moment. We can also furl on a moments notice without getting the crew out of our bunks. You don''t have to go out of a safe cockpit in 40-50 knot winds to put the third reef in. The most important feature is that you can sail short handed- many couples sail their Amels all over the world." This is also exactly true of a boat set up with two line reefing systems for each reef, plus Two line reefing allows affords you the chance to control sail shape with the halyard and outhaul, which gets expecially important in high wind conditions.

You clearly seem to fall in the category of a sailor who loved thier in-mast furler but has yet to experience a major jamb in heavy air. That said, I have not seen the In-mast furler installation on an Amal so I am curious, how does the "backup systems for a non functioning reefing system" clear a HIHO (half in half out) jamb, which after all is the most common form of a jambing problem with these systems.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook