SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jamaica
Thread: Jamaica
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008

N0NJY is on a distinguished road
I know this is an old thread, but I asked a question and was pointed here by Cam.

I visited Jamaica four times in the last three years. Stayed in St. Annes, place called Runaway Bay. Spent some time in Ocho Rios and visited a lot of places around the area.

I did not observe crime - other than every third person attempting to sell me ANYTHING they happened to have on them, including various forms of drugs. Usually if I said, "Not interested" or "I don't use that stuff, don't need it" they left me alone.

One persistent fellow - nice enough guy, followed us around for about ten minutes asking if we wanted to ride in his taxi. He was making my wife nervous so I stopped and faced him and said, "We don't require your taxi services today, I know my way around and we're trying to get someplace within walking distance. Do you need anything else?"

He stopped and responded, "No, do you want to buy some drugs?"

I laughed and said, "Taxi to drugs... do you sell other things?"

"Wrist watches...."

So I responded... "The people for whom I work at home would likely frown on Federal Agents buying drugs or counterfeit watches"...

He scurried off.

(No, I didn't say I was a Federal Agent, I simply said that the people at home that I worked for would frown on Agents doing those things... and they would )

Anyway, over the past few years I've only seen the touristy areas so I can't speak about the south side of the island. Then again, seeing the rampant poverty in some of the areas through which I passed, I can only surmise that these things would all be true.

So - as much as we like the area - I think we will avoid going back there, as cruisers.

moˈloːn laˈbe!

It's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you're not.

Let those winds of change blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead - Jimmy Buffet
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook