SailNet Community - View Single Post - Deck to Hull Joint
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I wouldn't say I know a lot about them... I do have some experience with them since a friend owned one for five or six years... and the build quality wasn't bad, as was the case with most of the CE Ryder boats, like the Southern Crosses, Sea Sprites and Eastward Hos, are pretty solidly built.

One of the issues, especially with the Southern Crosses, IIRC, was that many were factory built but owner finished. The interior quality on the owner finished boats varied from amazing, like one I looked at last year, to abysmal, like another I looked at last year... The first was finished out by a master carpenter, and the work was phenomenal... and well thought out..with easily removable furnishings so that hull access wasn't compromised seriously... the other looked like someone with an all expenses paid shopping trip to Ikea and a hot glue gun were let loose on the poor boat. From the looks of the second boat, much of the interior would have fallen apart if it had gotten wet for any extended period of time... particle board was their primary construction material... and it is not a good material for use on a boat.

I've also been on a few Sea Sprites and Southern Crosses during my time in the OPBYC... There was a website that I found last year that had a fair bit of information on all of the CE Ryder boats... I'll see if I can find the bookmark for it... I kind of doubt it as it was two computers ago for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 11-03-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook