SailNet Community - View Single Post - A new catalina 36?
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2001
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
A new catalina 36?

Water....nut!
I think your idea about talking with owners is a good one...we agree. No I have never owned a Catalina and don''t ever plan to. You are however mistaken about the wing dings. These were first developed by the Americans cup fleet to skirt the racing rules, not as a solution to shallow water. Nigel Calder recently drew the comparison between today''s wing keels and the design of Bruce anchors. Once stuck on the bottom they really hold! Seriously I think the wing dings are a round-about solution to shallow waters but one does pay the price in sailing performance. No the Catalina''s do not smoke me on Thursday nights because I don''t race and if I did, it would be on Wednesday evenings but it was a good shot over the bow just the same! I normally sail competitively with the 40 Catalinas...fact. No, Catalina owners are not stupid, as a matter of fact my best sailing buddy owns a C30 and he is one of the smartest guys I know. I would say most Catalina owners are in denial. I don''t have an answer as to why a company has stayed in business for more than a quarter century, probably because there is a demand for the product...is that a point for you?
Perhaps you could arrange a comp charter for me in January in an attempt to persuade me to see your position. I accept!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook