SailNet Community - View Single Post - A new catalina 36?
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2001

h20nut is on a distinguished road
A new catalina 36?

I believe the wing keel concept is from John Bertands design team. I never implied that this was a Catalina idea, in fact I think Hunter was one of the first production boat companies to implement this configuration.
I''ll ask Nigel, the next time he''s in town, just how much coastal shoal draft cruising he''s been doing lately. Most of my cruising has been offshore where draft is not a consideration. That''s great the more fin the better, the longer and deeper the better.
But then there''s the real world. On our coast the water depth drops about 1'' for every mile offshore. You couldn''t give a 6''draft boat away. If you want to sail around here it''s gotta be shoal draft. People around here like to sail. They buy shoal draft
boats
The good news is you don''t live around here and you don''t have to deal with wings. That''s great. Fact is there is something for everyone. If you don''t believe in comfort,safety,value,resale,easy handling,low maintenance and trendless design, then you are right. Don''t buy a Catalina. Hey,Denr, what do I know. I''m in denial.
I''ll be glad to take you sailing but It''ll be on a new Catalina. Don''t worry I won''t tell anyone.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook