SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Dink, Looking at Tohatsu 3.5
View Single Post
post #25 of Old 11-06-2008
Derrek

Merc/Tohsu 3.5 + portabote 12ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I have the Tohatsu 3.5 HP four-stroke as the dinghy motor on my boat. Think it's a great little engine. I'd highly recommend it. I use it on a 12' 6" porta-bote and a 8' 6" inflatable with a roll up floor. BTW, my friend has the 2.5 HP.

Any questions, PM me.
Sailingdog,
I joined this site to ask you a very specific question, but i have to post numerous times before i can PM you. So i have posted this question for you instead.

Anybody else, please feel free to drop in your 2 cents worth if you own a Porta-Bote as well.

"Mr, Dog

I have owned the 12 foot Porta Bote for a year now. I used to use it on a small pond and my 30lb thrust trolling motor was fine. Recently i have been fishing for stripers in the SF delta a lot and am traveling a lot further to my favorite fishing hole (about 7 miles from the launch). I am interested in the 3.5hp merc/tohatsu as a new primary. If you dont mind, I have a couple of questions for you.

1. I fish either by myself or with one other guy. I weigh 230Lbs and my buddy does as well. How well do you feel the 3.5 would handle the load of just me and me and my buddy?

2. What kind of top speed do you think i would be able to get out of it with just me and what do you think me and my buddy would be able to pull?

In all questions i am assuming no wind and less than 12" of chop. The boat with just me will pull about 3mph using the 30lbs of thrust trolling motor.

Any info would be soooo greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Derrek C. Westbie
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome