SailNet Community - View Single Post - growing food underway
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2004

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
growing food underway

There is a boat I met in Bundeburg, Australia that had a variety of salt-spray resistent grape-vine growing up the back-stay. (It is a Roberts Offshore 38, but actually nice looking)The pot was wired onto the side of the stay and had a little domed lid with a hole and a slit arrangement in it (I think he cannabalised an aftermarket paint-tin lid) and there was some bubblewrap stuffed around the stem to reduce the amount of salt that hit the soil. The plant itself was a very hardy variety that was bred for life in coastal vinyards and didn''t mind flying salt at all. The vine was a little over six feet tall when I saw it, and doing great.

It yeilded a lovely variety of nearly seedless red grapes (can''t remember what they were called) and provided vine leaves for various recipes that the skippers reek descended wife was fond of preparing.

It also made a great talking point at every marina.

He told me that he had "several" of these vines growing in pots at home and that he rotated them out every year or two (which allowed him to perform radical pruning, repotting and all those other gardeny things).

Not sure I want to take "Australia''s growing wine export business" quite so much to heart when we go cruising.

Folks should also be aware that if you are cartign growing vegetation and most especially soil and going international that Customs services around the place may let you wave your plant bye bye as they drop it over the side...
(certainly the case if you bring plants into Australia)

Sasha
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook