SailNet Community - View Single Post - One Dead, one wounded in VZ piracy attack
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
One Dead, one wounded in VZ piracy attack

This was just posted on another board...very tragic.
I know this will generate another piracy/guns argument...but let's get further details before jumping to any conclusions.
The VZ coast remains dangerous and prudent cruisers would be wise to avoid it for the time being.

Last night an American, the owner/captain of the vessel Chill, Ken Peters, was killed by pirates at Isla Borracha near Puerto La Cruz. Ken and his wife Cathy were anchored with another boat I'Lean, Steve & Gloria Davis aboard. They were departing Puerto La Cruz from Bahía Redonda Marina headed west and stopped for the night to clean the boat bottoms and prepare for the voyage west. About 5:30 PM they were approached by 3 men in a piñero with pistols. Details are not clear this morning, but it seems the 2 American men resisted and in the ensuing gunfight Ken was killed and Steve injured but not badly. The Guarda Costa was called and responded and the 2 sailboats returned to PLC last night late. The widow, Cathy Peters, sailed her boat back with the help of a friend and guarded by a soldier. Steve sailed his boat back and the police recovered the body of Ken from I'Lean. It is expected that the body will be cremated here in Puerto La Cruz. It is especially horrible as Cathy just returned from the US having just buried her mother. The whole community here is in a state of shock and grief. A large scale exodus of cruisers is probable. We plan to depart in a few days, as was our plan previously.

To those who advocate armed resistance. maybe you need to rethink that. It is difficult to contemplate clearly and understand these things but violence is not the answer to violence. For sure it did not seem to be the answer in this case.
SSCA Discussion Board :: View topic - Death of an American cruiser in Venezuela