SailNet Community - View Single Post - One Dead, one wounded in VZ piracy attack
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
This was just posted on another board...very tragic.
I know this will generate another piracy/guns argument...but let's get further details before jumping to any conclusions.
The VZ coast remains dangerous and prudent cruisers would be wise to avoid it for the time being.

Last night an American, the owner/captain of the vessel Chill, Ken Peters, was killed by pirates at Isla Borracha near Puerto La Cruz. Ken and his wife Cathy were anchored with another boat I'Lean, Steve & Gloria Davis aboard. They were departing Puerto La Cruz from Bahía Redonda Marina headed west and stopped for the night to clean the boat bottoms and prepare for the voyage west. About 5:30 PM they were approached by 3 men in a piñero with pistols. Details are not clear this morning, but it seems the 2 American men resisted and in the ensuing gunfight Ken was killed and Steve injured but not badly. The Guarda Costa was called and responded and the 2 sailboats returned to PLC last night late. The widow, Cathy Peters, sailed her boat back with the help of a friend and guarded by a soldier. Steve sailed his boat back and the police recovered the body of Ken from I'Lean. It is expected that the body will be cremated here in Puerto La Cruz. It is especially horrible as Cathy just returned from the US having just buried her mother. The whole community here is in a state of shock and grief. A large scale exodus of cruisers is probable. We plan to depart in a few days, as was our plan previously.

To those who advocate armed resistance. maybe you need to rethink that. It is difficult to contemplate clearly and understand these things but violence is not the answer to violence. For sure it did not seem to be the answer in this case.
SSCA Discussion Board :: View topic - Death of an American cruiser in Venezuela

I don't get it Cam.

When I read it (maybe it was edited) it says this.

Last night an American, the owner/captain of the vessel Chill, Ken Peters, was killed by pirates at Isla Borracha near Puerto La Cruz. Ken and his wife Cathy were anchored with another boat I'Lean, Steve & Gloria Davis aboard. They were departing Puerto La Cruz from Bahía Redonda Marina headed west and stopped for the night to clean the boat bottoms and prepare for the voyage west. About 5:30 PM they were approached by 3 men in a piñero who asked for water. When Ken came back up from below with water, they shot him with pistols. Details are not clear this morning, but the other boat then shot at the pirates with a shotgun and killed one and injured another of the bandits. Ken was killed in the exchange and Steve injured but not badly. The Guarda Costa was called and responded and the 2 sailboats returned to PLC last night late. The widow, Cathy Peters, sailed her boat back with the help of a friend and guarded by a soldier. Steve sailed his boat back and the police recovered the body of Ken from I'Lean. It is expected that the body will be cremated here in Puerto La Cruz. It is especially horrible as Cathy just returned from the US having just buried her mother. The whole community here is in a state of shock and grief. A large scale exodus of cruisers is probable. We plan to depart in a few days, as was our plan previously.

To those who advocate armed resistance. maybe you need to rethink that. It is difficult to contemplate clearly and understand these things but violence is not the answer to violence. For sure it did not seem to be the answer in this case. How could any ordinary peaceful cruiser be prepared for such an eventuality? This is clearly a country in the process of self-destruction!

This return "violence" may have saved other cruisers lives.

I am sure more details will follow.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook