SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

If not bottom paint, what?

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  RichH 
#1 ·
I am nearly finished with the rebuilding of my trailered Ensenada 20. I have no NEED to paint the bottom, except that I did some cosmetic repairs on the stem and below the waterline which now show as that lovely shade of West System 407 brown. I want to keep the bottom white (there are no white bottom paints that I have been able to find). I have some left over Snow White Awlgrip from the topsides. This boat will be used (for the next year at least)only as a daysailor (I will be rebuilding the interior next winter). Will Awlgrip stand up to this kind of use below the waterline, or should I consider some other paint (My attitude about the Awlgrip is that I have plenty and it is paid for). Any ideas and feedback are welcome.

Thanks. Doug

#3 ·
I should have been more specific. I will be using the boat on salt water (ICW along in the Florida panhandle). But remember, as a trailered boat, the she will only be in the water for 8-12 hours at a time, maybe 3-5 days a month. The marina from which I launch is equipped with washdown facilities at the top of the ramp.

#4 ·
you really shudnt need bottom paint if you intend to dry sail the boat. bottom paint may help keep water out of the fiberglass but epoxy will really do the trick. im thinking that there are other things out there like bottom waxes that you may want to try as i think you might be surprised how quickly critters will attach to the hull.

#6 ·
As I said, I want to do a quick paint with Awlgrip (I know, that''s an oxymoron), but I am posting my question here because I want to keep an open mind. Though I like the look of the white, my main objective is to hide the areas of fairing. My main questions are: Is painting (with a topside paint) a good idea? and What other alternatives should I be considering?

#10 ·
I wanted to thank everyone for the advice. I just ordered white EPaint EP2000. Though it is intended for racers, I hope I will be happy with the results (as slow as my little pig is, I need all the help I can get!). The paint is non copper based, and may be hauled out without affecting the paint''s preformance. It is not cheap, but I hope it will serve me well. Thanks again kablotsky for the tip. I will repost here in 2 weeks or so to let everyone know how the painting goes.

Doug

#11 ·
I think you would be better off with Emeron on the hull because if it gets chipped you can sand and repair that area. Algrip is not very forgiving paint it is very brittle and hard to feather and touch up. Also I think you will find that Interlux makes a white bottom paint I THINK? I have seen it and it looks great just make sure it is trailerabul bottom paint.

#14 ·
Two Part Polyurethane coatings such as Interlux Interthane Plus are not designed for under water applications. I imagine that Awlgrip and Emron would be no different.

The paint will fail if left in the water long enough. You can contact Interlux using the contact numbers on www.yachtpaint.com to conform the best solution using their products. I am sure other manufacturers such as US Paint will also have contact numbers so that you can ask about Awlgrip, etc...

Mike

#15 ·
Yup! I learned this the hard way.

You can check with each paint manufacturer that their topside coatings will not last long when immersed for long periods of time such as on a long tern constant heel. NO such topside paint will last but a few days when immersed... but plain old alkyd enamel will last the longest.
.... Been there, T shirt. Will never ever ever again paint a boat''s topsides.

You can simply remove topside paint by wetting towels, covering with sealed saran wrap, etc. .... no need for strippers, etc. Paint just falls off after a 2 week soak!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.