SailNet Community - View Single Post - Irwin 34'' 1982, questions?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2004

pdshipl is on a distinguished road
Irwin 34'''' 1982, questions?

I own a 1980 34'' and agree with above statement. However, I love the boat and have shipped it everytime I relocated for work. I purchased it in Toms River NJ 6 years ago and it has sailed South Jersey, Lake Mead Las Vegas and now berths & sails in San Fransico Bay. My wife and kids spend extended weekends on it and it''s the best bang for the buck interior wise,in our minds, for the size. Sails great in all weather but i try not to sail in winds over 25+++ with kids aboard as even with reefed 150% genoa boat is still tender in a blow. We have keel model and I sail it single handed 80% of the time. I have used Amaron industrial products (a lot better then interlux/pettit and cheaper) as sealer under the anti-fouling paint and never had blisters (lake mead was 80++ water temps). Problems not noted above - 1)irwin V.E.''d engine - should have been at least 20hp, but ours is a 15 Yanmar (great motor though)
2)plastic ports LEAK and after time will rot interior teak ply (which we replaced and restained to match remaining ply). 3)back chain plate has reputation for developing cracks - check it out 4) plastic access plate to rudder post may leak (because you stand on it while at helm)and water then runs down a stainless mounting brace and will rot seat bulkheads 5) lots of gel coat cracks over time 6)not easy to replace caulked-in main 2 Lexan windows 7)check thru-deck chain plates mounted on main bulkheads for rot 8) when out of water/on blocks, hull has soft spot under kitchen (starboard) area. All that said, we really love the boat (head room,, berth layout, high bow, somewhat sound hull yadda) and for the $30 to $35k you''ll probably spend, you cant match it for performance and compfort.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook