SailNet Community - View Single Post - coronado 35
Thread: coronado 35
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008

Sailingbum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Sailingbum
Stop armchair bashing of Coronado 35's

With all do respect Jeff the Coronado 35 was not a chopper gun hull and the hull supports were in the form of a decent/strong glassed in cabin insert / liner with lower Glassed in 3"W crossbeams for hull/keel support running from the forward cabin to the aft before tappering off. I have found the hull itself to be very strong hand laid glass with some thru-hull core cuts being 3/4"-1" thick. A weaker H/L mat Topsides at 1/4-5/16" is backed by 1/4 fiberglass liner panel at least in the Californian model.
Not a blue water cruiser at all but with a few hardware upgrades needed due to the low cost production plan the hull is sound and it makes a fine windabago for Carribean Island hopping.
I have yet to hear anything bad in it's basic contruction that wasn't due to neglect or improper maitainance. This roomy affordable boat is a Tripp.

Most chopper gunning did not start on larger vessels (because of the oil crunch and economy til' around 1974) the 35's last real year. Balsa was mostly unheard of until the mid 80's again for manufacturing economy and decreasing hull wieght.
I read a Columbia 34 (the same hull as the Coronado 35)had completed a circumnavigation around 6 years ago.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook