SailNet Community - View Single Post - Questions about boat buying process...
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2004
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Questions about boat buying process...

Slimqs:
"it typical to place an offer on the boat and put a deposit down prior to having a survey done?"
Yes...but...it''s a stretch to make an offer on a boat you haven''t even seen, if that is the situation you describe, or to plop down a survey. You''d be investing a trip and a survey charge on you don''t really know what...If you are willing to buy a boat from outside your area, my opinion is use an experienced yacht broker from your area as your agent, especially if you are new to boat purchasing and boat ownership. You should be able to rely on the broker to match candidate boat models to your needs and budget, and to be better able to ferret out a candidate boat''s condition and character so that you''re likely to have one trip and one survey. The expereinced brokers tend to all know each other, and to talk morew frankly one-to-one, then to a tire-kicking buyer they are not likely to see again. If you can''t or don''t want to use a broker then see the boat the afternoon before the survey so you try to cancel it if not needed.
Even though I''ve owned a half dozen boats over thirty years, durning my last new boat hunt, covering about twenty candidates I''d say about half the boats I went to see, I didn''t even bother to climb aboard - there are a lot of dogs for sale. Should I ever boat hunt again, the local broker will be my first and only stop.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook