SailNet Community - View Single Post - A new catalina 36?
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2001

paul-e is on a distinguished road
A new catalina 36?

h20nut,
thanks for the info and encouragement. i''ll pick up a mainsheet at our local dealer. just talked to an owner of an early 80''s vintage catalina 36 who told me the boat has served him well. only complaint is that while running in rough seas, steering "goes out", as though the boat flexes just enough to put slack in the cable. this happens only briefly, but made for a very scary run. i understand this may be possible on a boat with large unsupported panels of glass. could this actually be a problem with catalina 36s? i suppose i need to go directly to the factory to see how the hull liner is "bedded" to the hull (fiberglass tape?, 5200?) and compare this to how, for example, the hull of a hallberg-rassy, island packet or bavaria is strengthened. i, too, am surprised that we''ve not had additional comments from catalina owners, or previous catalina owners that either loved or disliked their boat. looking forward to additional info. and thanks again for the help. (p.s., the placement of that forward port-side tie-rod still bothers me...i examined a mid-80''s southern cross 35. you should see the size of those ties rods. similar design but twice the diameter of the catalina tie rods, and looks like they are glassed to the hull).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook