SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cheoy Lee Luder's 36
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008

Houze66 is on a distinguished road
Luders 36

My wife and I bought a Luders 36 in Maine a few weeks ago. It is stored under a shed in a marina on Isleboro, Maine. The boat is in need of bottom and topiside paint, brightwork, deck sanded to remove Cetol, and a good cleaning inside. She has been stored at least one year accordingly to the party we bought the boat from--confirmed by the marina owner. The Perkins 4-108 was rebuilt and has only 60 some hours on it. So that is a real positive. The windows will need to be removed and re-bedded. We are thinking of replacing the small lites with portlites, and I would be interested in hearing from any of you on this point. Is it something that you have done? Do you have any advice on this idea? The masts appear to be in good shape from what I could see of them up in the sail loft. The main mast is rigged with a "behind-the-mast" furling. I do not know how it will work out, as I have read lots about the pros and cons of these mainsail furling rigs. I am somewhat worried that the furling device may not be all that well fastened to the mast, for one thing. I have no way of knowing, of course, but I think the whole setup has inherent design weaknesses. But if I remove it, I am looking at getting a new or used mainsail to replace the cut-down mainsail required for this setup. The jib is also roller-furling rigged, which is OK I suppose, being a Harken.

The boat also has a small woodstove installed, which looks to be in good condition, as is the interior woodwork.

Our Cheoy Lee plaque bears the number 2893. I emailed CL in Hong Kong and they informed me the boat was completed in May of 1975 and was delivered to Lion Yacht in CT (still in operation, I later found out).

I do not mean to bore all of you with these ramblings, but wanted to just share with you the project we have before us.

Finally, we are excited about our CL Luders 36--despite my list of "issues" presented in this post. We look forward to beginning our work on the boat this spring and hope to try her out before summer's end.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook