SailNet Community - View Single Post - Quickstop COB recovery
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 04-02-2004 Thread Starter
Quickstop COB recovery

Having been taught to recover a crew overboard using the traditional "Figure 8" reach-to-reach, but also having read the strong endorsement of Quickstop by various sailing authorities, I recently spent some time practicing it singlehanded on a 40'' masthead rigged sloop, which is quite a bit bigger and heavier than what I would usually be sailing.

I was gratified by the ability of Quickstop to keep me right next to the victim, even on an unfamiliar boat in a good breeze. ... I don''t think I ever got more than one or two boatlengths away as I sailed around in a nice, slow, controlled circle. And with the sails strapped in, there sure is a lot less going on in the cockpit than with reach-reach. With an uninjured victim and a lifesling or trailng line, I am now 100% confident in the maneuver.

But I was frustrated by my inability, using quickstop, to actually stop the boat *right at* the victim. Each time, I ended up sailing around in a few circles, and then giving up on Quickstop and resorting to the traditional: reaching off, tacking, and reaching back to effect final recovery.

Thoughts? Advice?
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome