SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Battery charger (unplugged) causes spark on battery post!!
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 11-16-2008 Thread Starter
Northeaster

New Battery charger (unplugged) causes spark on battery post!!

Hi Folks,

I bought an Iota 45a Intelligent (Q4) battery charger in the summer, but didn't have time to install it.
Now that the boat is in storage for the winter, I removed the 2 group 27 flooded house batteries (new this spring). Brought them to the house for warmer storage, and figured I would use the Iota to charge / maintain them throughout the winter, and install it in the boat in the spring. It comes with a 3 prong AC plug!

I had NOT yet plugged in the charger to the AC outlet, but when I tried to connect the leads to the 1st battery, I got a decent spark!!!
Double checked everything, tried again, same result!

Looked like the charger was shorting out the battery! Got out the multimeter, set for Ohms (2K). ** Electrical not my strongpoint, but do understand basic short, ground, etc**** Got reading of .54 on pos /neg leads from charger!!
Not sure what I was expecting for readings, but since the charger was not plugged into AC, I did not think a spark was normal. Should the charger leads show open / no resistance (1.0 reading) until it is plugged in and starts charging? Or is this normal??

I did NOT have the chargers ground lug connected to ground either, but don't think this woudl matter so far.

Thoughts?????
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome