SailNet Community - View Single Post - Quickstop COB recovery
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2004

ccboston is on a distinguished road
Quickstop COB recovery

gstraub, I had the same concrn you describe. Being used to dinghies, it struck me as a sure formula for knockdown or uncontrolled broach, to try to bear off and gybe with the main strapped in.

But actually trying it in practice, experimenting was in 20 knots of breeze. Admittedly, since I was trying new stuf, I reefed to be a bit under-canvassed for the conditions, but bearing off and gybing with the main strapped right on the centerline produced remarkably little heel.

At the instant after you slam tack, when your momentum is still carryhing you forward fast and the Genoa is fully aback, there''s a slightly distressing moment of groaning rig and rail-burying heel, but that passes quickly. After that, you can bear off, gybe, head up, and keep circling, and everything seems remarkably slow and controlled. If you''re single-handing it, one huge advantage relative to figure-8 is that there''s just a lot less to do in the cockpit... you just keep your eyes on the victim and steer the boat in a circle, and you don''t need to leave the helm to deal with sheets.

Try it, you''ll like it. I''ll be out there practicing it some more, next chance I get.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook