SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ericson 35 traveler placement...
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
There are some real advantages in having a split cockpit like the older E35. It gives the helmsman his/her own space, and you'll be bumping into other crewmembers less, esp during tacks and gybes.

There is the issue of having to step over/around the binnacle and traveller, but just look at that as a way to keep you nimble as you get older!

The E35s mainsheet is very handy to the helm, obviously, and this is a much better setup than any midboom/cabintop traveller arrangement in terms of adjustablilty and power.

I'm surprised to hear an owner suggest that these classics are not good heavy weather boats, but I've not sailed one.

there is no difficulty whatsoever in getting around in the cockpits---one does not have to bend or stretch or do any weird movements in order to move around in the very comfortable cockpits of the ericson 35mII, contraryh to many opinions...i donot understand the controversy at all --the original make up of the double cockpit and traveller arrangement is simple and efficient and most user friendly.there are no weirdnesses or bizarrenesses or lines to leap over like a gazelle, an dold folks do not have to be concerned about becoming a negative statistic in these cockpits...i get around most easily in mine and i even have a bum knee and a broken lower back....anyone having doubts should stay with catalina or cal...or even hunter, and remain in the slip drinking cocktails....but that is my humble two cents......as for heavy weather---i would not take any light displacement boat out in heavy weather---the mII is easily overpowered in heavy weather and is an excellent racer rather than cruiser....she has a fin keel and a spade rudder and is not a cruiser for blue water.

Last edited by zeehag; 11-16-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook