SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big Freakin' Sails
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dell30rb View Post
I'm glad I saw this thread! I went out Saturday afternoon in my pearson coaster. Saw about 25 sustained and max of around 30. It sure was gusty. Got water up to the coaming more than once due to a strong gust. Real wet ride too, no dodger on the boat yet. Had to eventually put two reefs in the main and roll the 135 up a bit.

Went out sunday around noon in the beneteau 423 and saw a little stronger winds. I saw one gust shoot the anemometer to 37.4 apparent on a beam reach. No kidding. Even hit 9 kts GPS speed once, which is really fast for that boat (shallow draft version).

FYI I started both trips at my house on indian creek... and went out for a little while in fleets bay, then cruised out to the ships channel in the middle and back into indian creek.

Okay - so this is the last BFS I'll steal from other threads. dell30rb definitely pulled one down as evidenced in the photos above. Freakin' awesome. Especially given the fact that he did it in two separate boats. Kind of like taking out the Maserati one morning, then the Bentley the next. Like freakin' Leno.

Anyway BFS.

From here on, if a respectable sailor's gonna pull down a BFS - said sailor needs to have the "temerity" to throw down said BFS thereafter. I can't keep doing all the heavy lifting here. This modesty thing is a serious buzz kill.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-18-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook