SailNet Community - View Single Post - New sails for CS36T
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008

121Guy is on a distinguished road
Race Sails

Hi John,

I have sailed on Lake Texoma a couple of times. If the conditions there during your racing season there were like my experiences then you have predominately light air sailing. The CS is a great boat and I think if you are out to have fun, the sail choices won't be as important. If however, the have fun part also contains some planned winning once you get all dialed in, here are my thoughts:

First, is this main and jib racing or with spinnakers?

Second, are the courses windward leeward or triangular with reaching?

Third, who are your most likely competitors, what boats do they sail and what sails do thet have?

Last, if the organizing authority is a local PHRF chapter, read all about the local rules. Examples of these include, maximum size headsail without penalty, credits for smaller than maximum, credits for furling and fixed prop etc. I do not know aht these are around those parts but you should not accept anecdotal info. Get a copy and read them.

Once you have great info on these things, you can decide on what sails make the most sense. In general though, with that boat as heavy and stiff as it is, think bigger and lighter, full size genoa, large roach main, full size symetric spin.

Let us know some more and perhaps you can get some good info.

Good luck,

121 Guy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook