SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice on a 12 footer
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2004

Gaul is on a distinguished road
Advice on a 12 footer

Edited to say that 12 feet is a general length, not specific.

I have just starting sailing, so I took a weekend charter course to see if it was worth pursuing. I really enjoyed myself, so now I am looking at doing something more. I started thinking about picking up a sunfish or laser or something similar to take out to the gulf(AL,FL) on the weekends to really learn the ropes and also to get some more time to see if I really enjoy this without laying out a whole lot of money. However, I noticed that a lot the the boats in the category I am looking at are just as expensive if not more than used 20 footers. I was really hoping to pick one up for 500-600 dollars that I could sail for a season or so but even the used ones are going for better than $1000.
Now that I have finished whining, can anyone tell me first, whether my plan to get the smaller boat and spend the extra money is a good one, and second, what type should I get? I don''t want to do any racing and I would like to take a passenger along occasionally. I am also looking for something i can beach launch on my own fairly quickly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook