SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dreadnought 32
Thread: Dreadnought 32
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008

fullcanopy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcanopy View Post
I have a Dreadnought 32. I have closed up 5 thru hull openings. There is no Balsa Core in my vessel. ODAAT is cutter rigged and heavily built. Rick was in Nova Scotia last summer in ESKIMO on his third circumnavigation. I would trust my Dreadnought on any ocean.

Clyde Nickerson
Master, S/V ODAAT
Yes, of course I have not sampled every square inch of ODAATs hull for a core. I have however looked at thru hull holes from the keel area and at various heights above the water line to near the top of the sides of the hull and have not found any core material. I did however find that the homebuilder had cored the cockpit deck with half inch plywood covered with at least a half inch of fibreglass and resin on each side. That is the only place that I have found any sort of core material.

I would of course not presume to argue with anyone as obviously knowledgeable as yourself on the question of the various productions of Dreadnought hulls. In the days that these vessels were being built aand marketed I was a serving soldier and my great annual salary of around seven grand a year did not permit such a fine vessel and feeding a family too.
I would be grateful to you sir if you would be kind enough to point out about where in the hull I might bore out some more holes to find that elusive core of which you speak. Somehow I am driven to wonder if maybe, just maybe, some were cored and some were not.

Clyde L Nickerson
Master, S/V ODAAT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook