SailNet Community - View Single Post - New sails for CS36T
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008

121Guy is on a distinguished road
Some more info

Hi John,

Thanks for the added info. So to optomize the 36T to compete with a Catalina 36 in a main and jib fleet, in mostly light air.....on a windward leeward course.....here are my thoughts:

Your boat will go a lot higher and faster in light conditions than the Catalina. I'd suggest a 155% or max size all purpose genoa. This sail can be made of Dacron or a lighter and less stretchy material. A good compromise might be a Pin Stripe fabric cut in a tri radial pattern with a taffeta back and light UV protection if it is to be the primary sail stored on a furler. This sail will go from zero to around 15-18Kn apparent wind. At that point you will want a smaller headsail and the 155 might be able to roll up to maybe 130% if it is done right. I'd also take the current headsail you have with the boat and if ii heavy enough consider asking the same guy that makes the new sail to evaluate it as candidate to be cut down to a 100% blade. On really windy days this will be nice to have. The big genoa will help you three ways against the Catalina, you will go upwind better, you will reach better and if you get a whisker pole, you will go down wind better.

For the main, I'd suggest a dacron cross cut main with two full battens on top and two partial battens low. I prefer a loose foot as well. I'd also make this one as large as you can and work through the sailmaker how large it can be before the roach interferes with the backstay when tacking. This is particularly annoying in light air. You can use a small roller set up high on the backstay to help the sail across, or make one that doesn't hit.

To get the most out of the boat, consider that a clean fast bottom, a folding prop and a backstay adjuster and easy to use sail controls are very important. If the boat does not have one, I'd alos consider a solid vang as iy will hold the main up in light air.

We had both a CS 36T and a 36 Merlin in our PHRF fleet and they are both very nice boats to race!

Good luck!

121 Guy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook