I did the Thorny Path with my wife. It took 3 months...about half waiting for weather/sea conditions that would allow progress (52'boat...so no issues there!).
If you can get crew...I would highly recommend the offshore route as you can see what you missed on the Thorny Path on the way back on a reach!! You might consider joining the Caribe1500 out of Norfolk for a bit of extra safety given your timing.
No longer posting. Reach me by PM!