SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sail Magazine BOTY Awards for 2009
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Agreed - to a point. I loved the 36. I cannot understand why they would kill it. And then came out with the 350???

As for the Morgan 440 - you can see I own one, don't you?

I have a real affinity for the older Catalinas. Some of the models still have not changed. I said this in another thread not long back. But the 400 and the 42 are still really built well (and the same). They have taken some of the others and really scimped down on the cabinetry and tried to save too many bucks to stay competitive with the other production builders. I would rather they just made themselves a bit more expensive and focused on their products. A good case in point is the 387 versus sthe 380. The 380 was a MUCH better boat (in my opinion, of course). I lived on and cruised on one with the fam. Very solid and a good liveabaord.

But Bene and Hunter have done EXACTLY the same thing - and worse in my opinion. THe hardware and cabinety of the new benes is poor. As for the Hunters? TOo new to tell for sure.

THe only models that I am aware of that Catalina has not really changed are the 400s, 42, 32, and 470. I am not blown away by ANY of the others.

- CD

Our old 380:

Our 400:

Let me get this straight. You owned the boat in the first picture and you still bought the boat in the second picture?

I'm sure I don't have to point this out to you but, have you noticed that their stern treatments are rather similar? Both sterns look remarkably like the front end of a grocery store shopping cart. Perhaps the designer's day job at the Kroger influenced his design work, in study hall.

Sail magazine. Catalina. It's as if they were made for each other. They go together like salt and pepper, eggs and bacon, syphilis and dementia....