SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pre-requisites for Living/cruising aboard?
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Pre-requisites for Living/cruising aboard?

T:

I checked (my son flys -60''s off her) and the fellow I knew has now moved on; he was last Navigator and may in fact still be stationed there but was not aboard on her last two week-long movements. You could ask the OOD if they know where he''s hanging these days...
Sorry for the bum steer.

There was a nicely illustrated book published some years ago by Katy Burke, illustrated by Bruce Bingham, that was titled something close to The Liveaboard Boat or Book. Many fancy systems have been invented in the meantime but the question you''re asking is one that''s fairly technology or trend-independent. I''d encourage you to shop (Amazon etc.) for a copy of that book (it should be dirt cheap) as it''s very nicely done, comprehensive, and the illustrations are excellent.

BTW in the NW, a chronic issue you''ll face is condensation from a warm interior and a cold/wet environment. (We just finished wintering in London; we speak with mouldy authority.<g>) There are ways to minimize this problem and talking with lots of liveaboard sailors up there before settling in on the type of boat, layout, etc. might prove very helpful. Good luck to you!

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook