SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replacing Halyards
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2004

Silmaril is on a distinguished road
Replacing Halyards

Good topic.

I have a question regarding halyard "Technique". My masthead is a tapered rig, and has three closely spaced WIRE sheeves facing forward, Port, Stbd, and Center. The lack of space precludes me from using any of the newer high-tech solutions. The line''s diameters are too big for the sheeves for the loadings on a 37'' masthead rigged IOR race boat.

My question is this:

The traditional method of using a wire hayard is to get two or more turns on a winch before you go to the splice, hence the 4 small winches at the mast partner. This necessitates a person going to the cabin top to raise and lower sails, two if you are racing and have a crew "Jumping" the halyard at mark roundings. Weight forward never a good thing in the squirlly IOR desings, and it gets crowded.

I am looking to replace my three forward halyards, and bring the tails to SpinLocks on the cabin top near the cockpit. A pair of self tailing winches behind port and stbd banks of three locks on either side of the companionway. Can I trust the wire/rope splice? How much can it hold and are there any techniques to improve the strength of the splice?

Thanks for any and all input.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook