SailNet Community - View Single Post - possible to dry newly wet decks?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2004

njabro is on a distinguished road
possible to dry newly wet decks?

that''s what I feared I''d hear, but it makes sense.

I don''t know how much of the deck is wet and where, as I haven''t had a meter to it myself. As for the bulkhead, it''s not a problem. Her chainplates are odd, though; the shrouds don''t bolt to the deck with chainplates continuing below and attaching to the bulkhead (as I''m used to). Hunter 36 shrouds attach to heavy stainless hardware above the deck, which passes through a stainless-fitted (and supposedly sealed) slit in the deck. Then they pass down through some furniture toward the lower portion of the hull; I haven''t seen how they''re fastened below, though. They''re not even really near the bulkhead.

This means water''s been passing through these slits, and I don''t know if they''re bare core, or whether the stainless fitting around the slit (both above and below) covers the deck core (which makes more sense).
The only visible water seeping is under a starboard window, where the 110-volt outlet directly under the window shows signs of goo (don''t turn on the AC!) and the cushions underneath are stained.

Thanks for your reply. Might''ve saved me a headache. Am still interested to get a meter to it myself, though.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook