SailNet Community - View Single Post - Winter Covers?
Thread: Winter Covers?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2008

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
I actually had forgotten I made this post, and I'm stunned at the number of responses. I guess it's the time of year to talk about winter covers.

I also have to say I'm surprised at this post, and the threads to which it is linked. I guess I'm not "surprised," because these things exist all over the place on the Internet, so "disappointed" might be a better word.

Folks, when dealing with someone's business you need to be careful, and it is downright reckless to condemn a longtime family owned business because one guy posted in detail his view of a particular dispute. I'm not saying that he's right or he's wrong. It reads like he did not have a good experience, and maybe The Canvas Store could have handled it better, but to foster and affirmatively perpetuate the notion that this business is run by a bunch of fraudsters is reckless. I know of no business, NO BUSINESS, that doesn't have dissatisfied customers, and even for good reason. No business gets it right every time.

The Canvas Store in fact is a very reputable company. They have made thousands upon thousands of canvas products, shipped them all over the place, and as far as I can tell they have very few detracters. Again, I'm sure this one guy was dissatisfied, and maybe even correctly so. But that leads to the conclusion, at most, that The Canvas Store did not get it right this time, not that they never get it right, commit fraud, should be reported to the better business bureau, criminally prosecuted, run out of town, lynched, beaten with a wet noodle, etc. Get hold of yourselves.

I have had a fair bit of experience with a number of canvas and sail makers over the years. Certainly not more than anyone else, but enough to consider myself as having experience in the area and the basis for an opinion. My experience with The Canvas Store certainly has been anecdotal, but I'll tell you, The Canvas Store has been pretty much at the top of the list so far for quality, attention to detail, customer service, and timeliness (and price, which is not a plus). They built an entire suite of custom canvas for us, including dodger, bimini, connector piece, cockpit cushions, and full enclosure. And we had them deviate from their normal product in a couple of significant areas. They came to the boat to take measurements, the came back to do the install, they came back to make adjustments, they came back to correct a couple of things that were not exactly right, and they did it all in a matter of weeks. When we had a problem with how the bimini was laying while out on our cruise, they came to the boat, took the bimini, fixed it, brought it back, and reinstalled it. In a day! And with a smile and great attitude to boot.

As for quality, the final product is awesome. We have owned the boat only a few months, but we've gotten more compliments on our canvas than we got for the entire time we owned our last boat (6 years). Again, I'm not saying this other guy is wrong or that TCS didn't screw up his canvas (I really have no way of knowing one way or the other), but think twice before you set about helping to destroy a family business.

MS, no disrespect at all, and sorry if this reads like a rant. I'm sure you were just spreading the word in an effort to help unsuspecting consumers. I just find this kind of witch-hunt thing scary, particularly when it's directed at a small family business.

Respectfully,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post

Please use extreme caution when dealing with these guys!
The old adage "you get what you pay for" can be very true with canvas products!

Buyer Beware "The Canvas Store" (LINK)

Buyer Beware Part 2 "The Canvas Store" (LINK)

An this (LINK)

And this (LINK)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook