SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Show me your sailboat's interior

340K views 186 replies 104 participants last post by  Barquito 
#1 ·
You know the drill.

#8 ·
The strips behind the cedar are cut from 1/2" pressure treated plywood. I had to cut kerfs in them to allow them to conform to the curvature of the hull. I bought the cedar strips at Menard's. They are 5/16" thick tongue and groove strips sold for wainscoting.

Conventional wisdom says to epoxy the furring strips to the hull. I was working on the boat outside in my driveway in early winter and the temperature was way too cold for epoxy to set up. I used Gorilla Glue instead. It has a broader range of temperatures it can be used with. I left a worklight on in the boat that generated enough heat to keep everything above freezing.

I did this last winter, and so far the Gorilla Glue has held up well. Here in Minnesota we get temperature extremes from -30 in the winter to +95 in the summer. Also, this is a very lightly built boat so it probably flexes more than a more substantial craft (although I have never actually noticed any flexing.) Neither the flexing nor the temperature swings have broken the Gorilla Glue bond.

#10 ·
Heinzir-

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable using pressure treated lumber inside a boat. The compounds the pressure treated wood is treated with are very nasty and fairly toxic... and I'd prefer not to be stuck in an enclosed boat with them.. Just MHO...

#14 ·
Have you read the warnings on the stuff...and the fact that the poison used to treat the wood can leach out... If you're going to have kids aboard...best not to use pressure treated wood on the interior.

#15 ·
I think any poison that leeches out of the wood would have done so long ago. I cut the 1" strips from a portable launching ramp I had made for my dinghy many years ago. It had been outdoors exposed to the elements, and the lake, for many years. I needed to make a new one, so I salvaged what I could from the old. I could have used marine plywood but my budget did not allow that. I used what I had.

In any case, the treated wood is not being used in large expanses, such as a bulkhead. The relatively small number of 1" X 24" pieces are completely covered by the cedar ceiling.

#17 ·
GUU-

And all of that shows....

:laugher
Dog...

when I was a kid we used to swim in raw sewage, drink tap water, sleep in lead painted beds, drive cars with no seat belts, and no airbags, we rode bikes with no helmets, we didn't send kids to karate classes, we had no shrinks, we all smoked indoors....and damn it....

I'M STILL HERE!!!!!!!

#22 ·
1990 Holby 35' Clearwater model

Whampoa,
Beautifully boat! :) :) and good choice of location!!;) ;)

Ours is docked in Oriental also, at the dock at the house.

The boat is new to me, so I cannot take much credit, other than being smart enough to buy her last spring in CT. She has a swing keel and draws 1'10" with the keel and rudder up, and 6' with the 4,000 lb lead keel down. Just what we need for the wind tides we get in the creeks in NC. We sailed her down this past fall.

Looking fwd thru the galley, the keel swings up into the partition to the right. It splits the sallon, but we hold are parties up in the cockpit anyway.

looking aft thru the galley, she came with the custom dinner ware along the partition, there are quarter berths on either side of the companionway. There is room for a full table between the partition and the steps, it folds down along the partition and slides out and up to fill in between the port and starboard satee's

She has a nice size V-berth, with shelf, drawer and wet locker storage

and a walk thru head on the other side of the partion.

Looking down thru the companionway you can see the keel parition with the galley on port and the nav station on starboard.

Proud and happy new owner of Heron. They only made 7 of these models back in the late 80's early 90's. ;)

CapnRon

#23 ·
CapnRon-

Like the white interior...so much less gloomy than the dark wood interiors of some boats. :)

Please note, that all of GUU's interior are veneer... since he wanted to save weight... they're veneer laminated over fiberglass with a foam core. Very cool, very light... but mother of god expensive to do. :)

#24 ·
Pretty, pretty boats!!!! One thing that jumps out is the toal lack of handholds on some of the larger boats with the big salons. On the boats with a large beam, that's quite a ways to fall!!!

I've got our interior boat pix at Picasa Web Albums - Voyager - Boat Decor#

Our boat is a Liberty 28 Custom Cutter. Six tons of fun!!!

#27 ·
A rare boat - Brazilian built and finished to a nice level overall.....

#29 ·
Andre-

He was never Nromal

#32 ·
Thanks CapnRon47 and Sailchick20.

I agree sander06, hand rails are important and we have them on our list of pending additions.

Thanks as well to all who have shared the shots of their interiors.

Regards, John

#33 · (Edited)
I need to send you to a different site, but a link to where I show the how to, along with before and after shots of my rear cabin, and there is a link there to the head redo. I am thinking I have some shots of the main cabin with the new cushions I can find some where. There may be an edit on here in the future.

Interior after new cushions.....I knew I had shots, a bit on the small side tho!

Marty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.